This month marks the six-month anniversary since the introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy. This reform saw the implementation of a 0.5% tax on large employers, based on their wage bill, that automatically contributes to the funding of apprenticeship programmes for their workforce.
The Levy shifted the way Learning Curve Group (LCG) approach apprenticeship training. LCG now work more closely than ever alongside our employers as they have become further invested in the training that is delivered to their workforce. We see the importance of fully understanding the employer’s business aims and objectives, and ensuring that their training and recruitment strategy is aligned with this.
Our partnership with Levy-paying employers does not just focus on apprenticeships. LCG has made it their mission to go ‘Beyond the Levy’ in the service that we provide from the very beginning. As part of our initial discovery phase, we conduct an Organisational Needs Analysis. This takes into account various factors of the business and allows us to consider the other forms of training or recruitment support that the employer can benefit. This will, in turn, create a Talent Management Solution bespoke to the employer.
If you have a wage bill over £3 million, you must pay the Apprenticeship Levy and this is collected automatically by HM Revenue and Customs monthly through Pay as You Earn (PAYE). It is important, if you are applicable to pay the Levy, to make sure that you are not falling behind and that you are fully utilising this money.
LCG have compiled a Levy Healthcheck to help employers to understand where they should be at this six month point:
- Do you have a clear understanding of the Apprenticeship Levy?
- Have you chosen your preferred training provider?
- Do you trust that the training provider fully understands your business needs?
- Have you been assigned a dedicated Key Account Director who will be your first point of contact and ensure all your needs are met?
- Do you have a clear training and development strategy from your training provider that links with any internal training you may already have?
- Does your training provider support your recruitment needs?
- Do you understand how your business can benefit from this partnership with your preferred training provider?
- Has your training provider shown you how to use and access your Apprenticeship Service Account?
- Has your training provider shown you how to forecast your Levy spend?
If you have answered no to any of these questions, get in touch with our specialist levy team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or read more about the levy at www.app-levy.co.uk